Below are seven stories from 2013 where love, decency and human kindness triumphed over evil, adversity and despair. I wrote this blog post because I think it’s important that, as we enter 2014, we don’t just remember people such as Miley Cyrus, Alex Rodriguez, Mayor Ford from Toronto and Kim Kardashian.
A few people below are household names; others you may or may not know. Click on the names to learn more about their story. If you have people you want to add to the list, feel free to let me know. Thanks!
- Michael Landsberry – We should never forget his courage and bravery.
- Pope Francis – He is doing what every great leader does throughout history—leading by example. The Catholic Church has gone through a difficult period, and lost quite a few followers. He is bringing people back. He is humble, selfless, kind, sincere and humane. I pray for his continued good health so that he can help spread God’s word for years to come.
- Ronnie Smith – A moving letter from Ronnie Smith’s widow on the importance of forgiveness.
- BatKid – Every kid deserves to be a super hero. Well done city of San Francisco!!
- Malala – The 14 year old Pakistani girl who took on the Taliban with her mind and her school books…and won.
- Nelson Mandela – He was the embodiment of peace, strength and character when he had every reason to hate.
- Brenda Schmitz – The amazing story of an incredible woman and her special request.